The protective structure of the decommissioned Chernobyl nuclear power plant, which is supposed to prevent the spread of radioactive material, can no longer fulfill its safety function due to damage caused by a drone attack earlier this year, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) announced on Friday.

An inspection of the protective structure conducted by the IAEA last week showed that the drone attack in February caused the degradation of the structure, the United Nations agency stated.

The mission confirmed that the protective structure has lost its “primary protective functions,” including the function of containing radioactive material, but that there is no permanent damage to the load-bearing structure or the control systems, according to the statement. Temporary repairs to the roof have already been carried out, said agency head Rafael Grossi, emphasizing that comprehensive refurbishment is necessary to prevent further degradation and ensure long-term nuclear safety.

Based on the investigation, the IAEA recommends further refurbishment and protection of the structure, as well as updating the systems for monitoring moisture and corrosion and other monitoring programs, the statement said.

To recall, on February 14th this year, a drone breached the outer casing of the protective structure and caused a fire. Ukrainian authorities announced at the time that the attack was carried out by Russia, but Moscow denied this.

The protective structure was installed in 2019 around Reactor Number Four, which exploded in the 1986 nuclear disaster, to prevent further radiation leakage into the environment.

Following the drone attack, radiation remained at a normal and stable level, and there were no reports of radiation leakage, the UN announced in February.

The Chernobyl accident occurred in April 1986. Soviet engineers placed a sarcophagus around the reactor, which was later replaced by a new structure. The remaining three reactors were gradually shut down, with the last one decommissioned in 2000.

Russian forces briefly occupied the nuclear plant at the start of the invasion of Ukraine in 2022. The IAEA has a permanent team of experts at Chernobyl and will continue to do everything in its power to support the restoration of complete nuclear safety at Chernobyl, the head of the UN agency stressed. Simultaneously with the Chernobyl inspection, the IAEA also conducted an investigation into damage to electrical substations across Ukraine.

Source: Mondo, Photo: EFREM LUKATSKY / AP

MORE TOPICS:

FOLLOWING THE TRACE OF THE HORRIFIC CRIME IN ČAČAK: Son Slaughters Mother, Father, and Himself in a Cursed House Damaged by NATO Bombs, Where the Previous Owner Committed Suicide! (PHOTOS)

TRUMP CLOSES BORDERS: The List of Countries Whose Citizens Cannot Enter the US is Expanding, Details on Whether Serbia is Among Them!

LUKA DONČIĆ GOT A BABY GIRL, THEN PUBLISHED PHOTOS! The Basketball Ace Celebrated in Slovenia, Then Returned to America on a $150,000 Flight! (PHOTOS)

DESTROYED ICONS AND STOLEN PAINTINGS: Mayors of Municipalities in North Kosovo Found Chaos After Entering Their Offices!

POWERFUL RUSSIAN ATTACK, POLAND SCRAMBLES FIGHTER JETS! Injured Reported in Ukraine, Sirens and Explosions Won’t Stop, People Hiding in the Metro! (PHOTO/VIDEO)

ATTACKED FOR SPEAKING IN EKAVIAN DIALECT: Young Men Aged 16 and 18 Assaulted Two Serbians in Split!

SHOOTING IN A FAMOUS BELGRADE RESTAURANT: Soccer fan Leader Shot!

KOMPLET LEPINJA AMONG THE WORLD’S BEST: Declared the Eighth Best Dish in the World, the First Place is a Surprise for Many!

WON’T TOLERATE HUMILIATION: Police Officers from Palilula Station Refuse to Guard “Ćaciland”!

DANGEROUS WHITE HOUSE MOVE: “House of Shame” Website Launched, Targeting Journalists Who Write Critically About Trump!

STOLE VALUABLE PACKAGES FOR MONTHS: Serbian Man Arrested in Austria Who Worked as a Postal Delivery Driver!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *