Kyiv, Ukraine – Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has confirmed that 390 soldiers captured by Russian forces during wartime operations have returned to Ukraine.
“We are bringing our people home. Today – 390 people. Thank you to everyone who helps, who works 24/7 so that Ukrainian men and women can return home. It is very important to bring back everyone who is in captivity. We are checking every name, information about every person. We will continue our diplomatic work to make such steps possible,” Zelensky wrote on Telegram, as reported by Unian.
Zelensky added that this is only the first phase of a large prisoner exchange in a “1,000 for 1,000” format, which was agreed upon during the meeting of Ukrainian and Russian delegations in Istanbul on May 16.
Zelensky said he expects the exchange to continue over the weekend.
🇺🇦The first return under the “1000 for 1000” agreement: 390 Ukrainians are home!
— Dmytro Lubinets (@lubinetzs) May 23, 2025
Ukraine is bringing back part of its citizens following the agreement reached in Türkiye, where both sides committed to returning 1000 of their people.
Glory to Ukraine! pic.twitter.com/gsRrf7nYIe
Russian Ministry of Defense: First Phase of Large Prisoner Exchange Completed
Moscow, Russia – Russia has repatriated 270 soldiers from Ukrainian captivity, as well as 120 civilians, including civilians from the Kursk region captured by Ukrainian armed forces. In exchange, 270 Ukrainian prisoners of war and 120 civilians were transferred, the Russian Ministry of Defense announced.
“In accordance with the Russian-Ukrainian agreements reached on May 16 in Istanbul, on May 23, 270 Russian servicemen, as well as 120 civilians, including civilians from the Kursk region captured by Ukrainian armed forces, were returned from the territory controlled by the Kyiv regime. In exchange, 270 Ukrainian prisoners of war and 120 civilians were transferred,” the statement said, as reported by RIA Novosti.
Trump Weighs In
“Congratulations to both sides on these negotiations. This could lead to something big?” Trump questioned in a post on his Truth Social network.
The agreement for a “thousand for a thousand” prisoner exchange between the two sides was reached earlier this month in Istanbul.
MORE TOPICS:
BAD NEWS FOR BIDEN: Former president diagnosed with progressive prostate cancer, spread to bones!
MYSTERIOUS MISS V: How a wealthy Canadian woman ended up fighting for Serbia in WWI! (PHOTO)
WONDERFUL ROMAN BRIDGE ON GOLIJA: 30,000 eggs were needed to build this monument! (PHOTO)
Source: RTS, Foto: EPA-EFE / STRINGER



